Acidity or acid reflux are common symptoms of stomach irritation, bloating, hiccups, flatulence, and acid reflux which affect many people. One of the most common reasons why individuals visit a physician is an acidity and excessive burping.
We believe that this article will provide you additional information in detail about What is acidity: symptoms, remedies and home remedies.
Table of Contents
- What is acidity
- Causes of acidity
- Acidity symptoms
- Home remedies for acidity
- Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
What is Acidity
It is a medical condition caused by overproduction of acid. When this acid is produced in excess due to triggers such as dehydration, alcoholism, stress, or eating habits, acidity is produced.
Hydrochloric acid (HCL) is produced in our body to complete the digestive process by breaking down food. In our stomach this acid naturally produces in the gastric glands of our stomach.
This situation or you can say condition is identify by heartburn felt around the lower chest area, which is caused by the stomach acid flowing back up into the food pipe.
Very few people understand the unhealthy or bad eating habits and poor lifestyle choices that lead to this condition.
There are two types of Acidity-
The heartburn reflux and the throat burn reflux.
It affects health by causing a lump sensation in the throat or chronic cough. However, if this is your first time realizing this feeling, it can be a little scary.
Now taking care and choosing home remedies can reduce and even end up experiencing it again!
Causes of acidity
This is mainly related to food and lifestyle. However, sometimes it may also depends on the family history. It has been observed that different people complaints about the different types of food that cause acidity.
If one goes through the list of food ingredients that can cause acidity, you might be left with nothing fit to eat.
Therefore, not only it is the food which causes acidity, but also it depend on how your body is used to a certain food or allergic to others.
In this chapter i.e. What is Acidity: Symptoms, Treatment and Home Remedies, we will see what are the major causes of acidity
1. Bad or unhealthy eating habits:
- Skipping meals or not eating at regular times.
- Eating meal, before sleeping.
- consumption of too much spicy food.
- Excess salt intake.
These are some of the top eating habits that should be highly ignored.
2. Excessive consumption of certain food
- Tea and coffee
- Soft drinks and soda
- Spicy foods
- Acidic foods like lemon and orange
- Fat rich foods contains, especially fried foods and junk foods such as burgers, doughnuts, pizzas and other bakery items.
3. Some temporary medications and side-effects of existing drugs.
This includes medicines like :
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Medicines for high blood pressure
- Depression and anxiety medications
4. Stomach disease like :
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Peptic ulcers, among others.
5. Other causes of acidity include:
- Frequent smoking
- Consumption of alcohol
- Lack of physical exercise
- Lack of sleep
- Infection by a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori
Also, people who suffers from asthma, diabetes, connective tissue disorders and other medical conditions etc. are more prone to acidity.
It is also a common problem in those who are obese, pregnant women or those women who are close to menopause.
This symptoms differ from person to person. While the most common acid reflux symptoms are chest pain and burning sensation.
Below the breastbone, there are other symptoms that are uncommon. Acidity symptoms includes :
- Burning sensation and pain in the throat
- Burning sensation and pain in the stomach
- Difficulty swallowing or sensation of food gets stuck in your throat.
- Frequent belching or hiccups for no apparent reason
- Burning sensation and pain in the chest
- Post-meal heaviness
- Sometimes, it may cause pain in the chest or upper abdomen.
Hyperacidity symptoms include:
- Heartburn: Persistent pain or discomfort that moves from your stomach to your chest and sometimes even up to your throat.
- Chronic discomfort in the upper abdomen.
- Bloody or black stool often accompanied by bloody vomiting.
- Wheezing, dry cough, hoarseness, or chronic sore throat.
- Weight loss for no apparent reason.
While symptoms of in the chest is most times diagnosed as acidity. It is always recommended to visit your healthcare provider if the symptoms are persistent.
Accordingly, your doctor will diagnose either by taking an X-ray of the oesophagus and the stomach,or with an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and suggest treatment.
Hence, it is always recommended to visit the healthcare provider if the symptoms are persistent.
When you go to your healthcare provider, your symptoms are consider to determine if you have an acidity or whether it is a possible complication of another problem. Similarly, depending on your situation and the depth of the acid reflux problem :
- You will be prescribed an antacid that contains aluminium, calcium or magnesium.
- Doctor may also suggest the use of histamine blocking agents (H2 receptor blockers) such as cimetidine, nizatidine, ranitidine, and famotidine.
- Still, if the condition is severe, proton pump inhibitors may be prescribed.
- Again, if the condition is extremely severe, your doctor may suggest Vagotomy surgery that helps to reduce the production of acid in the stomach.
- Accordingly, your healthcare provider may be able to suggest certain do’s and don’ts based on your health, which will help you control acidity.
Home remedies for Acidity
It is a common problem that most of us face at least once in our lives. Also, most of us prefer home remedies over medicine. So before you start with antacids for treatment, try these home remedies so that you can get rid of the problems.
At last, in this article i.e. What is Acidity: Symptoms, Treatment and Home Remedies, we will see the easy home remedies for acidity.
Coconut water: This delicious treatment is known to calm your stomach and digestive system. In this case, you can take at least two glass of coconut water per day. Also coconut water is extremely good for your skin.
Watermelon juice: It is very good for combating acidity. You can have a glass of watermelon juice with breakfast.
Similarly, you can take lime juice at least one hour before lunch because it will help to reduce discomfort.
- Drinking a glass of buttermilk after a spicy meal helps to discomfort because the buttermilk contains lactic acid, which normalizes stomach acidity.
- You can either chew some basil leaves or simply you can boil them in water and drink it frequently to reduce acid reflux. You can also do this procedure with mint leaves.
- Also, includes banana, cucumber and yoghurt in your diet. It is known to give instant relieve.
- Surprisingly, sucking a piece of clove can help you to reduce symptoms.
- Ginger aids in digestion. Use ginger in your cooking or boil it in a glass of water, reduce to half glass and consume the water.
- Cumin is an excellent remedy for acidity. Boil a teaspoon of cumin in a glass of water. Boil until the water is reduced to half. Drink it on an empty stomach.
- Try chewing gum! As unbelievable as it may sound, chewing gum generates saliva that helps to move the food through the oesophagus.
- Take a teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar with a glass of water every morning on an empty stomach.
Note: If home remedies do not help reduce the symptoms of acidity, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
Acidity or acid reflux is a common problem most of us face, some on a day to day basis. Most of the times, acidity is accompanied by gas. The opposite can also be true. But the most common cause of acid reflux is consumption of unhealthy food along with alcohol and smoking.
Food that has a lot of fats and spices results in a burning sensation in your chest, which is a common symptoms of acid reflux.
When the symptoms are mild, home remedies will help you to get relieve from discomfort which caused by excessive acid. You can take control of acid reflux with some lifestyle changes, but the symptoms are severe, you may need immediate medical attention.
Acid reflux by itself, is not a serious condition but chronic acidity may cause other medical health problems and that can damage the oesophagus. It can confused with other chest related problems that can be harmful to health.
If the symptoms of acidity continue to persist even after taking the medicine, it is advisable to visit your healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. What is acidity?
A: Acidity or acid reflux is a very common condition affecting many people.
This condition is characterized by heartburn felt around the lower chest area, which is cause by stomach acid flowing back up into the food pipe.The common causes are unhealthy eating habits and poor lifestyle choices.
Q. What are the symptoms of acidity?
A : It includes stomach pain, vomiting, loss of appetite, flatulence, and heartburn.
Q. Can you drink lassi / yogurt in acidity?
A: Lassi or yogurt contains useful bacteria that help in digestion of foods and aids in acidity.
Q. How to cure acidity naturally?
A: The best way to cure acidity naturally is to have a glass of watermelon juice or coconut water. You can also include bananas, cucumbers or yogurt in your diet. They help you to provide immediate relief for acidity.
We hope our blog i.e What is Acidity: Symptoms, Treatment and Home Remedies will help you to get ideas of how to cure from acidity.
Eat healthy ! Stay healthy ! 🙂